Saturday, December 29, 2012

FLIPPIN' amazing caramel corn recipe!


The other day I told you guys about this amazing caramel corn recipe that my mother-in-law had and I was going to attempt to replicate. I had everything that she said I would need for the recipe except one crucial ingredient: the right popcorn. She has a popcorn machine that allows her the ability to measure out cups and decide not to add any salt or butter while I on the other hand do not. What I did have however was a very promising box of store brand movie theater butter packs. After sampling them both I have come to the conclusion that they are both AWESOME, it just depends on what you are going for. If you want a more sugary flavor then use the popcorn machine, no sugar or salt to pop it. If you want a buttery sweet flavor that tastes JUST like Cracker Jacks then use the bags like I did. Either route you take will be delicious, here it is:



3 Bags of  Popped Popcorn ( I used movie theater butter)
2 Sticks of Margarine (She uses Butter..mine had enough with the popcorn flavor)
2 Cups of Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup of Light Corn Syrup
1 tsp. of Vanilla Extract
1 tsp. of Baking Soda

Pre-heat the oven to 225, and pour the three bags of popped popcorn into a LARGE bowl. Put the Margarine, Brown Sugar, and Corn Syrup into a pot on med. to high heat. Stir all together until the mixture is blended and begins to boil. When it starts to boil set the timer for five minutes and do not stir it. After the five minutes is up remove from heat and add the Vanilla and Baking Soda. Mix those together, it will get really foamy and weird looking. Pour slowly over the popcorn and mix it all together. Then spread out the popcorn on two baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper on them. Slide them into the oven and let them bake for one hour. Every 15 minutes pull the pans out and stir them all up to ensure they cook evenly. When the hour is up let it cool on the counter for about 10 minutes then store in an airtight container. This is seriously my family's new favorite snack and if your house is anything like mine it wont be sitting around long enough to get stale. Trust me.


No comments:

Post a Comment